Serene Forest

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Plagiarism


Hello All,

Today my blog is about “plagiarism.”  According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary “plagiarism” is: “to use the words or ideas of another person as if they were your own words or ideas.” To “plagiarize” is: “to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own:  use (another's production) without crediting the source.”  In this paragraph I have added two quotes (words in quotation marks) from a website so I gave credit by saying, According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and I am adding the link to the website I found it at for even more credit and for anyone who is interested to see for themselves.1
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plagiarize)

Sir Eriata Oribabhor writes in Facebook, Writing and Plagiarism,  “For the benefit of my friends who may not know what plagiarism is all about, let me advice that it is the use of another person’s work without crediting him/her.” He further states, “Therefore, to plagiarize the work of another and make it look like yours is bad and punishable. Plagiarism is a serious offense in literary and academic circle (Facebook inclusive).” This means that it is illegal and a person who plagiarizes can be punished and that it is illegal on Facebook.2
(http://authorpedia.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/facebook-writing-and-plagiarism-by-sir-eriata-oribabhor/)

In the above paragraphs I have appropriately and legally used someone else’s words and ideas by using quotation marks around the copied words and then gave the credit for the words. I will also add citations at the end of the article. The little numbers at the end of the paragraphs correspond to a number at the end of this article. The source for the information is included there. These are the two appropriate and legal ways to use someone else’s words and give them credit for it.

You may ask, why I am writing about this issue on a blog about Periodic Paralysis? I discovered this morning that another Periodic Paralysis Support Board on Facebook is using my words from my book, my website and blog articles without my permission and without giving me credit for it. This person is obviously cutting and pasting my work and cutting and pasting my work and then adding a few comments in between that I would not agree with in any way. She is then passing the words off as her own.

I do not mind if you, as members of our organization or individuals with Periodic Paralysis copy my blog articles, or articles from our website for your own use or even to share with family and doctors, as long as you give me the credit as the source, which I know that most of you do. In fact, I want our information to be passed along. I want everyone to learn about and know what he or she can about Periodic Paralysis. But, I will not tolerate someone else who is the moderator of another support and supposed education Facebook Board/Group for individuals with Periodic Paralysis, who lacks my education, experience, skills, ideas, understanding, knowledge and years of research and study to cut and paste and use my words and my knowledge and my hard work as their own.

I worry, too about the “advice” and misinformation that may be being passed on by this person to others. Please be careful and always check the source of the information you are receiving. Also be careful because no one should be giving another person medical advice or advice about medications on these boards.

The following is
our copyright information:
Copyright © 2011 Periodic Paralysis Network
All rights reserved. No part of the Periodic Paralysis Network including the website, blog, support groups or book may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law, only if credit is given. For permission requests, write to the publisher sqknittle@yahoo.com

1. Merriam-Webster (2014). Plagiarize. Retrieved from: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plagiarize (April 24, 2014).

2. Oribabhor, Eriata, Sir. (November, 2013). Facebook, Writing and Plagiarism. Retrieved from: http://authorpedia.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/facebook-writing-and-plagiarism-by-sir-eriata-oribabhor/ (April 24, 2014).


Until later…

No comments:

Post a Comment