Serene Forest

Monday, November 25, 2013

Periodic Paralysis Diet November 25, 2013


Hello All,





I was asked to describe the diet discussed in our book Living with Periodic Paralysis: The Mystery Unraveled, the pH balanced diet, also know as an alkaline diet.

I must first begin by explaining there are different diets for Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis and Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis.

This is a link for a better diet for Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis: basically low sodium and low carbohydrate diet:
 
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nutrition/resources/renal_hypok.pdf

This is a link for a better diet for Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis: basically low potassium and acid:

That being said, it is important to understand that Periodic Paralysis is a mineral metabolic disorder. Due to this our bodies can easily become out of balance. We can especially become acidic with the American diet, thus creating many of our symptoms and leaving us weak and possibly trigger our paralytic attacks.

We believe that "balance" is the key: 70/30 alkaline/acid, low salt, low sugar, low carb, no processed food what-so-ever (They are highly acidic), no gluten (if necessary, .one of my biggest triggers), low fat and as much organic as possible. You must reduce the acidic food or keep them reduced to 30 % or less of what you eat. One is permitted to eat anything, but less of the acidic foods and more of the alkalinic foods. As one of our members said, "not low carbs but controlled carbs."

Many of us with various forms of Periodic Paralysis cannot get medications and/or cannot take them. I was basically dying due to this fact. My husband and I researched and experimented and discovered the best way to reduce my periods of full body, total paralysis lasting hours at a time and occurring 4 to 5 times a day and all night, was with a pH balanced diet, also know as an alkaline diet. We added supplements and I avoided all of my triggers except sleep (have to sleep) and began to use oxygen for my exercise intolerance.

By the end of 6 months, my episodes were reduced to 1 or two a month and I had lost 25 pounds, my A1C levels were down to normal ranges and my cholesterol levels had been reduced significantly. I was able to function more normally and continue to be much better than when I started the diet three years ago.

Now that I have become balanced, I find I have needed to add a bit more salt, sugar, carbohydrates and fats and am able to cut back on the supplements. 
Lifestyle changes are difficult at first, but the results are well worth the effort. I have regained my life in most ways. The following are links to more information on the pH balanced diet.
http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm


We are “Changing our lives naturally”…


Until later…

No comments:

Post a Comment