Serene Forest

Friday, October 17, 2014

"This is Not an Acceptable Way to Make a Diagnosis" Guest Blogger

Hello All,

In response to a post from one of our PPNI Support Group members about the ever controversial 'Conversion Disorder Dilema' another member,our guest writer Maureen McCutcheon, wrote the following:

These doctors know, but hope we don't know, that the number one criteria for diagnosing 'all in the head' (conversion, somatoform, functional neurological disorder, hysteria), is that ALL other possible diagnosis must be RULED OUT. They have to know that they are being lazy and unprofessional AT BEST! They just hope we'll accept their 'god-plex' label that they can get away with writing as the diagnosis into record. It seems that they don't think about or care about the ramifications for the patient. We are seeing them when we are our most vulnerable and unprepared and despite our many previous negative experiences,  we don't have some 'canned' responses of our own to these kind of comments (that he charged and got paid for). I feel a *rant* coming on that I wish I'd have the presence of mind to say to a provider at the time they say or do something like this: “Doctor, my presence here means I'm hiring this hospital and you for services. What you are doing is at best woefully inadequate, if not willfully inept. I want to see the ER director or highest person in charge of ER at this time (trauma nurse coordinator/supervisor or ??). I didn't come her to be treated in this disdainful, arrogant, dismissive way. There's a lot more ways I could spend my time and dime and I’m not here to waste your time or misuse medical resources. If you cared and meant your oath you took as a doctor, let alone the expectation this hospital /facility/ has from staff to implement Patients Rights to be treated with dignity and respect, then you wouldn't be doing this. What you are doing is not something you would want to be treated like or any of your loved ones. HOW WOULD YOU BE FEELING AND RESPONDING in my place if The doctor was treating you or loved one like you are treating me? By telling me that this is 'all in my head' you are revealing enough to me about you to know that I am NOT choosing to hire you as my doctor. You have revealed that you have a pre-c
onceived bias filter through which you perceive me. This is NOT acceptable…. NOT an acceptable way to make a 'diagnosis'.

Until later...

1 comment:

  1. Once again Maureen you speak for so many of us who have been through this journey.. without each other we would be weak but together we are strong..

    ReplyDelete